Chocolate Thin Mint Ice Cream

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A couple of weeks ago we went down to visit Stephen's parents. Their pantry was full of Girl Scout cookies that his mom had purchased from a family friend. She asked me what my favorite cookie was and if we wanted to take some home with us. I told her that I had never tried a Girl Scout cookie. Not only was she shocked, but everyone in the room stopped and looked at me. That was when the sampling began. I really loved the Thin Mints... I always love anything mint, but for me there was something refreshing about how crisp and light they were. Stephen and I ate one sleeve when we got home and saved the second one. I resisted eating them for weeks with the intention of using them in some sort of dessert. That's when I thought of putting them in ice cream. Stephen isn't the biggest fan of full-on peppermint ice cream, so I thought a chocolate base with flecks of cookies would give the ice cream just the right hint of mint. If you can withstand the temptation to eat every last cookie, make some ice cream, you'll love it!

Chocolate Thin Mint Ice Cream
Ingredients
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk
3 tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder
5 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 c. sugar
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. peppermint extract
1/8 tsp. salt
1 sleeve (15 cookies) Girl Scout Thin Mints, chopped

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium saucepan, warm 1 c. of heavy cream with the cocoa powder, whisking to blend cocoa.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat and add bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. Stir until smooth. Then add remaining cup of heavy cream, stirring until smooth. Pour mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan to remove all chocolate. Set a mesh sieve over the bowl.
3. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in the same saucepan.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk yolks lightly. Slowly pour the warm milk, sugar and salt mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then pour the mixture back into the saucepan to cook. Constantly stir the mixture over medium heat with a heat resistant spatula, scraping the sides and bottom. The mixture will begin to thicken and coat the spatula (it should also reach 170 degrees on a thermometer). Remove immediately and pour through the mesh sieve into the chocolate mixture. Stir in vanilla and peppermint extracts.
5. Place the bowl over an ice bath to cool and then place in the refrigerator to chill thoroughly (approximately 25-30 minutes).
6. Pour mixture into ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Churn for 20-25 minutes. Fold in chopped thin mints.
7. Store mixture in an air-tight freezer safe container and freeze for 4-6 hours before serving.

27 Comments:

  1. Oh wow. This looks positively dangerous!! I love making ice cream, so this is going on my list! (I have the same bowls! <3)

    I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays, going on now through tomorrow night! Hope to see you there!
    http://www.watchoutmartha.net/2012/05/martha-monday-link-up-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, just thought I'd let you know that I'm your newest follower & that I linked up! Don't you love those bowls? I use them all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo to you for resisting temptation to eat that other sleeve. I can never do it. But if I could, I would totally make this ice cream. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more recipe telling me I need to buy an ice cream maker! Thanks for linking to foodie friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness this sounds good! I'm pinning it for future reference. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo... looks absolutely decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Amanda, this looks dangerous. I thought the mint thins would be what we in England call "After Eights" (Don't know if you can get them in your country). All the same it still sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your photo and this recipe sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This sounds absolutely delicious!! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, just wanted to let you know this will be featured tomorrow at http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and for the feature!!! I love your blog too!

      Delete
  11. And I'm your newest follower because your blog is so stinking cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummmy!!! Excited to find you and follow!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so yummy! I love anything and everything mint. Pinned! I'd love for you to share this at my link party. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/05/terrific-tuesday-15.html
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot tell you how badly I would love a bowl of that right now! it is going on our must make list this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recipe-- I made a batch tonight. No thin mint cookies here, though, so I used the last of my gluten-free "oreos" instead. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We make home made ice cream every summer. We know what this summers flavor will be!! YUM! We are so happy that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday" and we hope you see you back next week!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, this looks simply amazing! I am really wishing I knew a girl scout right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my hunny is a thin mint fan & he would love this! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. That bowl is just adorable!
    Where can I get it? Does it have a specific name?
    Does it come from a certain company?
    As soon as I get an ice cream machine, I will try this yummy recipe
    (alas no thin mints in germany, will have to substitute with something equally yummy).
    Thanks,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria! The bowl is from Anthropologie- they are called mini latte bowls. Here's the link: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/baynote/073357.jsp.

      Delete
  21. Yum! I love everything having to do with thin mints! I'll have to try this next time I have some, or if I finally get around to making the imposters from Serious Eats!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So delicious! I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=4459 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH my word this has my name written all over it! Can't wait to make it! It was great to meet you at the BYB Conference! :)
    ~Amber
    dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Life Made Simple All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger